Thursday, May 15, 2008

May 12-15 - Her name was Lola ...

Sandy left from La Paz on Monday morning to head back to Toronto via a day in Lima, while I headed back to the Peru border to stay at Bolivia's lakeshore town of Copacabana (not to be confused with the song in the entry's title ... that was about Copacabana ... a bar in Miami). I picked the bus up for Copacabana at a random street corner in La Paz, no bus station or ticket office, just three busses lined up on the street.

The bus ride to Copacabana was a long ride, especially since I had seen the scenery before. The most interesting part of the ride was the ferry crossing, but I had done that before and spent this time as a tour guide telling all the other gringos that you had to get off the bus, buy a ticket, get on this boat, and get back on the bus. Once in Copacabana I stopped being a tour guide and headed to a hotel up on the hill where I had a beautiful view of the town.

My intention while staying in this town for a couple of days was quite simple, relax, catch up on my blog and read a book while hanging out in some cool cafes. Well, Copacabana let me do just that. The nice thing about this town is that it is overrun with hippie tourists, and therefore it is full of cool places to hang out for a while to do some reading and writing. The only problem with all of this is that I couldn't sleep for the life of me (too much coffee) and it was extremely cold (it even snowed the first night I was there and I woke up to ice on the tables outside) and I only brought a t-shirt and jacket from La Paz. This meant I spent more time than I wanted poking in and out of shops to find a sweater that fit me ... remember, everything is built for people 5 feet tall. But the nice thing was, this didn't dampen my spirit at all.

After a great two days of relaxing, I headed back to La Paz along the same road, where thanks to the sunlight, the water and sky had the same colour and the islands seemed to be floating in the sky ... a rather breath taking sight. I spent most of the afternoon (even though most of the day was already gone) hanging around some cafes to finish off my blog writing and get ready for the start of my next GAP tour through Bolivia. Oh ya, remember those zebras who were running a traffic school for the kids at the Mother's Day festival, well they were directing pedestrians across the street today....we have Smokey the Bear, Bolivia has Zack the Zebra.

The next day I spent hanging around La Paz finishing off some of the things I had to do (including booking a trip I will tell you about later) and met my next GAP group that evening.

No comments: