Friday, January 25, 2008

Prep Work

I'm packed and ready to go. The prep work was long and included many trips to Halifax to get various items (including trying on shoes in about 30 different stores in three cities across the country....I didn't know it was that hard to find hiking boots). The bag weighs about 46lbs and I'm sure will feel like 100lbs at 3,000 feet. Luckily I'm getting picked up at the airport in Quito.

The only thing I didn't get done while preparing everything was study more Spanish. I had great intentions to study every day, but in the end I didn't do much, and I can only fit my dictionary in my bag. So it's baptism by fire on that front.

All in all I'm ready to go. I'm excited, a little nervous and curious about the adventure before me. I intend to update this blog as I go and keep everyone up to date on what's going on. I look forward to hearing from all of you as I go.

Smile, Life's Great!!

Dave

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave!!! I'll definitely follow along as you wander around South America. I hope you're having a good trip so far. Are you having fun trying to speak Spanish?

Anonymous said...

Hola Dave. Tenga diversión. adiós amigo! tasha:)

Anonymous said...

I definitely believe the cross-country trek to find shoes.

It's those hawt double Es you have. Rawr.

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best on what will be an amazing adventure.
Jim

Anonymous said...

Good Luck David. Remember not to wear your Rolex and Blackberry when you are partying downtown.
Via con dios amigo!

Anonymous said...

Awesome site Dave. I will try to keep you up to speed on our curling triumphs (BTW - won last week too).

Safe travels and may the wind be at your back.

Anonymous said...

Great idea muffin! I'll definately keep track of you...have fun, be safe, and take amazing pictures for us to see!

Anonymous said...

Hi David-
Sorry I missed calling you before your Sat departure. Hope the travel down went well and arrival went as planned. Have a great 4 months. We will follow your blog with interest.
Safe travels,
Jim

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Miss you!!! I look forward to your blog updates. Have a great adventure.

Vana

Neil White said...

Hey Dave: Enjoy the sun, enjoy that fair trade coffee. Have a great time. Will check into the blog from time to time. Neil.

Anonymous said...

mcdirty! i had a 50-lb backpack myself. but then, i'm half your size, so you shouldn't have any problems. oh, and remember... if you encounter little boys that jump out of the bushes carrying big bats, just give up your backpack right away. they're vicious. =) that said, safe travels!

:: ann

kristin thoresen said...

Hi David

I have enjoyed reading all about your trip so far and I'm looking forward to your next update.

It must be some experience you are going through!! I can understand the frustration about learing a new language - but it will hopefully improve fast. Lucky you - I hope I'll get to learn Spanish some day. Enjoy!! Kristin