Monday, January 28, 2008

Jan. 28 - Spanish isn't just for the dogs

Yet agin I started the day off knowing nothing (yes, there is a pattern here....good thing Nova Scotians are laid back). All I knew is I have a class today staring at 9. I didn't know how to get there, what level I am at, where it is, size of the class or if I signed up for the 4 or 7 hour option (registration for the volunteer project said "Do you want Spanish classes?"). So after breakfast (today was fresh homemade guava juice) my protector, Susy, took me to school. And for any of those who want to make fun of me for being 5 years old, yes, she did pack my lunch and did give me an apple. With my limited Spanish I wasn't sure if it was for me or my teacher.

After an hour bus ride in traffic we arrived at the school. Susy didn't even give me enough time to catch my bearings so yet again I have no idea where I am. Once I'm at the school Susy told me she will come back to pick me up at 4:30 after school (I think now I'm 3 years old) and I'm whisked off to class instantly because it started at 8:30, not 9. But in Ecuador, time is relative.

I thought I had prepared myself well for the learning conditions in Ecuador. I wasn't expecting much. I figured I would have a room with a table and some chairs for everyone to sit in. I wasn't picky on the type of chairs. Pretty basic right? Well I had set my standards too high. I was quickly rushed out the front door, taken out back and quickly understood this organization. They had three branches of business; volunteer work, Spanish as a second language and a dog kennel. The kennel wasn't full this week so my class was to be in the dog kennel. If I studied hard and was a good boy I would move into the main house next week. I must admit, if I were a dog I would have been very impressed. As a student, that wasn't the case. But it made for a good way to break the ice with the other students.

So under many first-place dog show ribbons, I sat down at the plastic patio set and met my instructor, Jacqueline, for my one-on-one instruction. At first she didn't believe me when I told her I knew the basics ..... and after my test she still didn't believe me and made me start at the beginning. I was not impressed as I spent the entire morning practicing how to match the gender of the noun with adjectives. Instead of getting me started with a list of vocabulary (the main area of weakness at this point) she kept asking me to keep talking and then telling me I was wrong without correcting me.

When I finished the morning session I spoke with the coordinator and filled out some forms only to learn I was not registered for the afternoon sessions. Although Susy was picking me up in 4 hours it didn't phase me in the least, even though I didn't know where I lived, where I was, what was around me nor did I have keys or a phone number to call Susy (not that I would know enough Spanish to say anything). I'd figure something out. Just before I left I was told by the receptionist that Susy was going to come by at 2pm to pick me up.

While I waited I was able to explore the house/school and was very impressed. They were very organized and visibly frustrated with the limited amount of information Volunteer Visions provided them (they even had me down as American). They took the time with me to inquire about what I was looking for in a placement and any concerns I might have about my family. It appears they are also the organization that arranges everything for Volunteer Visions in Ecuador. To top it all off the person I was dealing with was from London, Ontario...a fellow Canadian.

When Susy arrived, we went to the bank and while she was there I went in search of the internet, only to find it was not working in the city centre. Instead I went for a walk in the nearby park (Parque La Coralina) which had the best playground I have ever seen. You name it and it was there, including real tractors, steam rollers, heavy artillary and a plane about the size of a CD-10 painted in funky colours with a happy face on the front and slide for the exit.

On my way back to the bank I went to a mall to check out the supermarket (it's basically the same...even the same brands) and came across probably the most interesting thing I will see the entire trip ... an ice hockey rink inside the mall with people practicing their figure skating. I fully intend to go with some students from school just to be able to say I went ice skating within 30km of the Equator.

In the evening some girls from school (there is only one other guy at the school) and I went to see a really bad movie...but it was in English and they all spoke English. It was a lot of fun to be with young people and it put a lot of my concerns about meeting people at ease. As well, they are all very interesting people so the conversation was enjoyable. The only problem with the trip (aside from Susy trying to explain how to get there and gave me 5 routes, none of which I understood), was when the movie was over, they all started telling stories about getting robbed. Being a true Canadian Gentleman, I waited with the women until all of them were safe in a cab. This left me alone, so I ran into the first cab I found to get home where I knew it was safe with Susy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I now, officially, have the best birthday idea ever.

And that was a hilarious entry. I do think this should be published somewhere... It's too funny for people NOT to read it!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sandy... definitely needs to be published in book form :) That way we can sell it to get the money to ransom you if you get kidnapped!!! Just kidding Dave - we'd probably use the proceeds for a vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hola David! Que tal!

It looks like you are off to a good start. I'll be following your travels along with the rest of you family & friends.

What a great experience...enjoy to the fullest!

Cheers,

Alison E.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Dave. You are a good storyteller. I am surprised, as in emails I've not seen you very verbose ;). Looking forward to continue to hear about your adventures.